Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Out with the BEACON Project

Hello! My name is Emily Greenhalgh and I’m a visiting graduate student from Boston University. Unlike the majority of summer interns at BIOS, I’m not here to work in a lab or dive for the summer. I’m here as a science writer. It’s what I’m getting my Master’s degree in: science writing.

It affords me a unique sort of opportunity here at BIOS, since it means I get to observe many projects instead of just working closely with one. Yesterday I spent the afternoon going out on the boat with the BEACON project. They were diving and taking coral samples off the coast as part of an ocean acidification project.

While I was a built in boat-sitter, my job for the afternoon was to snorkel and take pictures of scientists doing real work so I could write about it later. I’m not quite sure how I got so lucky, as to call this “work,” but I’m pretty sure that the sunburn I’m currently sporting is cosmic payment for such an awesome day.

No comments:

Post a Comment