Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Introduction


Your new blog author!
 Good afternoon!  I want to introduce myself to BIOS’s blog readers, as I will be the main author of the entries you will read here this summer.  My name is Lara Funk and I am a recent graduate of Duke University where I received a Bachelor of Arts in ‘Rethinking International Development: Theories, Approaches, and Representations.’    

Spending my childhood in Bermuda, I gained an early appreciation for the environment, specifically coastal and marine ecosystems.  Through my studies at Duke in development and work in eco-tourism development projects throughout Central and South America, I have seen the inseparable link between community livelihood and dependence on the environment.  I am now looking to pursue a career in community-based adaptation and mitigation to climate change such as community-based natural resource management, with a focus on coastal communities.

I am thrilled to be working with BIOS this summer in the Development Office as a Digital Media, Communications, and Education Intern.  I will be interacting with all sorts of exciting BIOS guests such as students, interns, and visiting groups, and will be collecting and documenting their experiences this summer.  The communication materials I collect will be used in social media, newsletters, annual reports, and right here on this blog.  I hope you enjoy what you find here, and I am so looking forward to sharing some of the amazing things that are going on at BIOS this summer!

Make sure you like us on Instagram, ‘BIOSstation,’ as well as on Facebook, ‘BIOS-Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences,’ ‘BIOS Ocean Academy,’ and ‘Marine Science REU Internships at BIOS’, so you don’t miss any news!



No comments:

Post a Comment