Thursday, February 19, 2015

Marine Adventures

The following blog post was written by a 2014 National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) student following their internship at BIOS.

Hello! My name is Chloe Emerson and I am a senior at Wellesley college studying Biology and Philosophy. This fall I have been participating in the NSF-REU program at BIOS researching tissue regeneration in the variegated sea urchin, Lytechinus variegatus, with Dr. Andrea Bodnar and Dr. Helena Reinardy.

A sea urchin with extended tube feet


I'm investigating the role of the Notch signaling pathway in regeneration by inhibiting Notch. My project has presented many wonderful opportunities for improving my laboratory skills and learning new molecular techniques including RNA extractions, cDNA synthesis, and quantitative PCR.

Performing RNA extractions on sea urchin tube feet.
In addition to working in the lab, I've also had a chance to explore Bermuda with the other REU students. Our adventures have included trips to the beach and snorkeling adventures at the nearby Whalebone Bay.

Exploring Horseshoe Bay with Gabe.

Snorkeling with Mia at Whalebone Bay.

Turtle Bay with the REUs.

My experience in Bermuda this fall has been incredible on both personal and professional levels. I learned an incredible amount throughout the course of my research project and met a group of really amazing people. I'm so thankful to have had this experience and hope to return to BIOS in the future.

Warwick Long Bay Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment