Friday, December 19, 2014

The Beaches of Bermuda



The following blog post was written by a 2014 National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) student following their internship at BIOS.



Working on DNA extractions
Hello, my name is Amanda Appelson and I am a junior studying Marine Affairs at the University of Miami. I have been working as an REU student with Dr. Gretchen Goodbody-Gringley on the Bermuda Invasive Lionfish Control Initiative.

Bermuda is a country full of beautiful beaches and super friendly people. The vibrantly colored houses and constant greetings on the street give Bermuda its unique charm. Beyond the wonderful and close-knit community of BIOS, there are an endless number of beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters, cliffs and caves to enjoy. Some highlights were swimming in Blue Hole, and snorkeling at Horseshoe Bay.


Crystal clear waters at North Rock



Besides relaxing on beautiful beaches in my time off, I had the opportunity to attend a variety of events happening around the island including the Rugby Classic and Oktoberfest. Some of my favorite activities have been SCUBA diving at a shipwreck, taking an REU trip to Nonsuch Island and snorkeling at North Rock.




Working in Bermuda has only reinforced my passion and interest in the invasive Lionfish and marine conservation. I had the opportunity to work in a molecular lab, assist as a deck hand and experience a cruise out to sea on the R/V Atlantic Explorer. My time here has truly been full of new experiences.


Lionfish collection


Snorkeling around Nonsuch Island

REU trip to Nonsuch Island

Church Bay


Tobacco Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment